Reversing Diabetes with Raw Food

I went raw overnight. Well, not me exactly. My husband did. But I learned how to prepare raw food overnight. And not just any raw food... Raw food without sugar. That means no fruit, no grains, no sweeteners except stevia, which I hear is terrible, and no beans except sprouted mung beans and lentils. You see my husband has diabetes. And he's eating raw to get healthy.

October 8, 2009

The Movie That Rocked My Kitchen

We just watched the most amazing DVD: "Simply Raw: Reversing Diabetes in 30 Days." The documentary follows six people who travel to the Tree of Life Rejuvenation Center in Arizona for 30 days. There, they follow a strict diet consisting of only nuts, seeds and vegetables. During the month, all six people stopped or drastically reduced their insulin. Their blood sugars and blood pressures normalized. And their total cholesterols dropped by as much as 60 points. One person, who started the month taking 19 medications, didn't need any of them by the end. Oh, and they each lost 20 to 30 pounds, except for one man who started at a healthy weight. He gained two pounds of muscle.

My husband was diagnosed with diabetes in 1992. He has all of the problems we saw in the movie: high blood sugars, borderline high blood pressure, borderline high cholesterol, excess weight. His health history includes a heart attack and a double bypass heart operation. Over the years, he has tried many diets to bring his body into balance - Atkins, Ayurvedic, Genotype and so on. None worked. This one made sense to both of us. We dove in headfirst.