Reversing Diabetes with Raw Food

I went raw overnight. Well, not me exactly. My husband did. But I learned how to prepare raw food overnight. And not just any raw food... Raw food without sugar. That means no fruit, no grains, no sweeteners except stevia, which I hear is terrible, and no beans except sprouted mung beans and lentils. You see my husband has diabetes. And he's eating raw to get healthy.

December 3, 2009

Saved By the Zucchini

We got back from our Thanksgiving trip late Saturday night and I hadn't made raw food in days. The raw chili we brought with us and a few salads here and there were all my husband needed given the Thanksgiving meal Thursday and the dinner in New York's Chinatown Friday. But by mid-afternoon Sunday I realized he was going to need something to eat.

I was completely unprepared. We hadn't been to the store in days. We had no meals planned. It was sort of like the first time I was pregnant. I read all the books about the baby (well, yes, it turned out to be two babies) growing inside me. But never read about what to do after they were born, like, you know, how to nurse them and all that. Granted, that was a bigger problem, but, still...

So, I looked in the fridge and found a lone zucchini in the bottom drawer. Then I remembered ... zucchini spaghetti! In the raw world, zucchini is the new pasta. Slice it long and thin and you have lasagna. Pull a spiraler through it and you have spaghetti. I didn't have a spiraler, but I did have a cheese grater and - voila - zucchini angel hair! Then I remembered the delicious raw lasagna we'd made a few weeks earlier. I didn't have time for lasagna, but I did have time for the sauce (made from tomatoes and sun-dried tomatoes) and what would have been the "meat" layer (made from walnuts and sun-dried tomatoes). Put them together and you have instant "meat" sauce.

Slight confession: I used canned tomatoes, which are cooked before they're canned, in the sauce because we didn't have fresh. Oh well. Everything else was raw. AND it lasted for three days!

PS. Zucchini is now hanging out with lentils in the "foods-my-husband-used-to-dislike" club.